Today I turned 25, and I'm trying to be happy about it. But I realized today that I'm now closer to 30 than I am to 20. I know, I'm still young, I still have many years ahead of me, but I really feel like this is the first birthday that I've truly felt the reality of age kicking in. Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if I were married, had an established career, or really knew what the heck I was doing in life, but here I am, 25, no husband, no prospect of a husband, no real career, no real prospect of a career . . . just wandering through life, trying to get it together. I have friends who are over 30 and are still trying to figure life out, which makes me wonder if I ever really will. Maybe I'm not supposed to . . . who knows. And what does that look like anyway? All I can do right now is take it one day at a time, relying on God to give me just enough grace, mercy, and wisdom to face the day.
At the same time, I'm excited about this new stage of life. It's exciting to think about what might come in the next ten years or so. Just in the last year, a lot has happened--most of it unexpected. I actually worked in retail for over a year, continued to do freelance writing/editing, and even worked in a preschool--not something I ever would have imagined I would be doing a few years ago. I've been incredibly blessed with great friends, who are such an encouragment to me. I am so thankful for the friendships that have grown deeper in this past year, and the friendships that have been formed.
Also, this year, my niece, Claira, was born. I was able to travel down south with Andy to serve the Katrina victims, where I survived my very first (and hopefully last) hurricane . . . the whole Rita experience still seems a bit surreal to me . . . Year 24 wasn't exactly the easiest year in my life . . . in many ways it was very difficult, but through all the breaking down of myself and all the lessons I had to learn, I feel better equipped to face whatever may be coming next.
Day 1 of my twenty-fifth year went very well. I went to church and then out to lunch with several lovely ladies--Natalie, Tammy, Cara, and Kelly. I then came home, contemplated my life for awhile, then Andy brought over a pizza, Jordan brought over cake and ice cream, and the three of us watched one of my new favorite movies, Elizabethtown.
And thanks to everyone who called, left messages, sent cards, etc. Definitely made me feel very loved and appreciated . . . I couldn't ask for anything more on my birthday!
Here goes 25 . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment