Friday, July 29, 2005

i heart boulder


boulder bw - 13
Originally uploaded by mandyloula.

Tonight as I walked down Pearl Stret and saw banjo players, a woman dancing while twirling firey sticks, an old couple blowing into some didgeridoos, I smiled to myself and realized that I just really, really love Boulder. It's a place where freedom of expression is encouraged and respected. Niles and I had a good heart to heart talk at the Bookend tonight, and while we were talking, I found that I have been afraid to fully express myself here. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I haven't broken free from the Bible belt "normal" mindset. Or maybe I don't even really know how I would like to express myself. Or maybe it's just that I don't know myself. So my new goal (as cheesy as this sounds) is to find myself--and then to be myself.

Sidenote: Just wanted to say thanks to Kory and the Barlows for placing a link to this site on their own blog sites--and for the comments. Sorry I haven't been better about corresponding, but at least we can now catch up by reading one another's blogs. :)

Also, a plug for one of my new favorite bands: If you haven't yet checked out Blue Merle, do so now. www.bluemerle.com I saw them in concert on Wednesday night. Amazing. Think Coldplay with a fiddle, upright bass, and a mandolin, and you'll have Blue Merle. "Lucky to Know You" is my favorite.

2 comments:

shauna said...

i'm glad you are finding yourself...tell me what you find. and if you find me while you are at it, then you could tell me that too! by the way i'm sucked into the blogging world now too... shaunalott.blogspot.com . I miss you LOTS!

mandy said...

Yes, Cara, Blue Merle does = tight jeans . . . at least on 3/5 of them. What's up with rock stars and extremely tight jeans anyway? Not that I'm complaining, but there comes a point when they're way, way too tight. I think blue merle has reached that point.

And in response to the freedom of expression question . . . I think if we're truly living as we should be living (in Christ), then we will be offensive--but in a very necessary way.

Shauna--Glad you're blogging! Looking forward to reading about your life. :)