I've been fighting the urge to write this post for the past couple of days now, but, alas, I have given into temptation . . .
There are about a million things I could say about Sarah Palin. I've made it clear to nearly everyone around me that I think McCain made a terrible, irresponsible decision, and I won't be fooled into voting for him just because his VP is the same gender as me.
The issue that upsets me the most, which I feel compelled to say something about, is her decision to run as VP with McCain despite having five children, one of which is an infant with down syndrome, and another that is 17 years old and 5 months pregnant.
So for the next couple of months, as her daughter is entering her third trimester, her mom will be traveling the country, far away from Alaska, campaigning to be the leader of the free world's backup. If McCain is elected, he'll be inaugurated in January -- the same month that Bristol will be giving birth to Palin's grandchild.
I am 27 years old, and I have no children, but if I were a mother, I can't imagine that I'd want to be anywhere but home with my teenage daughter during this time.
And if I were to get pregnant--even at this age--I can assure you that I would still want my mom to be willing to be focused on helping me through it. I can't think of another time in a young girl's life when she needs her mother more.
Additionally, I most definitely would not be happy to see my name plastered all over the national news. I'm sure it's difficult enough to be 17 and pregnant without having to deal with the entire world talking about it.
I'll stop my ranting now, but I just felt the need to bring these point out the inconsistencies I'm seeing in this campaign. I realize that no one is perfect and there really is no ideal time to become vice president of the United States, but for Sarah Palin, I think this should have been one opportunity that she needed to let slide on by due to her current family situation.
That's all. Feel free to comment and tell me that I'm wrong and need to mind my own business. :)
7 comments:
As much as your die hard republican and John McCain supporter father hates to, I have to agree with you.
Daddy
except i'm not all that convinced bristol is actually pregnant. i think she was previously pregnant with trig.
i also wanted to make a point that mccain and palin only met TWICE.
and to add, the mccain camp is very quick to judge obama's experience but completely contradict themselves in their vp selection.....
so if that's the case....do not ask me what i think about palin alongside the things you've already mentioned.....the whole thing is tainted.
Well, I'm voting for Obama, but I have to disagree with you somewhat, Mandy. Obama has two, young, impressionable daughters. I believe they need a dad just as much as Palin's kids need a mom. I have been a little dismayed at the knocks against Palin, particularly from those voting for Obama (the supposedly "progressive" ones). If it were her husband running for VP, NO ONE would be making these comments about him.
To Erin,
I agree that if it were Palin's husband running for VP, people probably wouldn't be saying too much.
Without adding too many personal beliefs into this comment, I will withhold my feelings about women & men's roles in the working world. I feel it unnecessary, as this specific issue Mandy is addressing has more to do with parenting and less to do with a man or a woman.
However, it is necessary that a parent puts his/her family FIRST period...and in the sign of any trouble to sacrifice anything necessary to create a greater balance of that priority.
Obama has girls of impressionable ages, as you mentioned. Palin has girls of not only impressionable ages, but then the addition of a baby with down syndrome and a teenager who is pregnant. If he were dealing with the added pressures in his family, I would be all for him avoiding election, too.
First of all I want to say that if and when the blessed event happens for you I WILL be moving in for the entire nine months--something I know you'll be looking forward to but you'd better make it soon or my focus will be turning to demensia (not sure of the spelling). Just kidding. I have to say that I was somewhat impressed with her knowledge of the oil energy crisis and solutions--maybe he chose her for that knowledge since he doesn't seem as strong in this area. She seems extremely confident in her speech delivery, but I feel she hasn't completely invisioned the whole picture. I really don't feel she could ever be president if something happens to McCain. I'm anxious for the debates to begin. We'll see. MOM
I do want to clarify that even though I am not sure of John McCain's choice for VP that I will absolutely still be voting for this man, especially after hearing Governor Palin's speech last night. I was much impressed by her confidence and knowledge of government. I feel that if need be she would have the heart to stand up to the enemies of our country.
Daddy
Who's to say that Palin won't be around for the birth or that her kids aren't on board with her running as VP? I'm not sure who Erin is, but I'm with her (or him?) - I would argue Obama's daughters are getting the raw end of the deal here. Palin just recently entered the race, where as Obama has been going at it for well over a year. Nobody seems to focus on his family life.
Post a Comment